Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal

From: Tryggvi Björgvinsson
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:36:34 +0000

On 11/07/2011 12:04 AM, Tryggvi Björgvinsson wrote:
As discussed at the IRC meeting yesterday I promised to write up an API to use as a springboard for nyergler to improve and work from. I wrote the proposal (for a very specific scenario) on the wiki:

http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/API

As you can see this is a really specific API which wasn't created with MediaGoblin in mind and only for submission of files but could be useful to launch the API discussion and work.

After a discussion yesterday on #mediagoblin with paroneayea and Elrond, I found out that MediaGoblin will start to process files immediately after upload no matter what. This makes the claims/expiration idea useless so we came up with a better approach to API which isn't as use case specific, easier to implement and overall just cleaner. Instead of claiming files with callback URL/webhooks. The callback is provided as an optional variable on upload (when files are uploaded, the application uploading can send a URL for GMG to POST to when processing is finished).

I have modified the wiki page accordingly and split the API up into two different APIs. One for submission, the other for Metadata. So we need to provide the upload+webhook POST option and then implement the callback JSON API.

If the uploading application (the US) wants to add metadata to the file (such as a Creative Commons license) that should be possible through a different API.

Hope this clears things up and avoids hurting in Nathan Yergler's brain when he tries to understand what I am trying to explain.

/Tryggvi