[GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin switches from Mongo->SQL

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin switches from Mongo->SQL
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:52:10 -0500

Hiya all,

As we said we would a few months ago, we've completed the merge from
MongoDB->SQL.  Just earlier today, the big red button was pushed:

https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin/commit/e089b66bde44ec90950a0acc9d471245295ffa4e

So we did it!  It's actually done, moving forwards into the past, from
nosql to SQL.  So that's, er, progress! :)

Already running a site?  It's not too hard to switch things over.

By default MediaGoblin will now use sqlite.  To switch it to something
else (like postgres), in your mediagoblin_local.ini set to an
appropriate sqlalchemy URI, like:

[mediagoblin]
sql_engine = 'postgresql://localhost/mediagoblin'

See also:
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/core/engines.html#postgresql

To actually convert your database, run:

  ./bin/gmg convert_mongo_to_sql

If setting up a new application, ignore all the mongo bits in the docs
(we'll update those shortly) and do:

  ./bin/gmg dbupdate

Currently only sqlite and postgres are supported, though we may support
mysql soon.

That's all folks!  Thanks to everyone who made this possible, especially
Elrond, who did the bulk of it!

 - cwebb