Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:47:41 +0200

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:24:31PM -0600, Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> El sáb, 23-06-2012 a las 02:20 +0200, Joar Wandborg escribió:
>
> > Hi Jorge, I wrote a bit on media types at
> > http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Media_Types, please tell me if something's
> > unclear.

> > > Yo!
> > >
> > > OK, my doubts are:
> > > * where should I place the files for new media types
> > > (project-mediagoblin/mediagoblin/media_types)?
> > > * what are the minimum files for a new media type (migrations.py
> > > models.py  processing.py  transcoders.py)?
> > > * what is the exact purpose of every python file for the new media
> > > type?
> > > * what should be imported on those files and why?
> > > * what should be done on html and statics files to make the media type
> > > available?
> > >
> > > with these simple questions maybe someone more experienced hacker can
> > > write a doc about the issue
> > > cheers!
> > > --
> > > Jorge Araya Navarro
> > > Universitario, idealista y pseudo-activista del Software Libre.
> > > Siquirres, Limón, Costa Rica.
> > > http://swt.encyclomundi.net
> > > Diaspora*: http://diasp.org/u/shackra
> > > identi.ca: http://parlementum.net/sweet
> > > Jabber: address@hidden
> > > Skype: ¡De ninguna manera, tras de privativo, te espían!.
> > > el software privativo en GNU/Linux, al igual que en Windows o en MacOs,
> > > te hace un ser no-libre. Deja de engañarte,
> > > ¡¡despierta ahora!!:
> > > http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
> > > http://replicant.us/about/

> > Ahorra con Groupon hasta un 70% de descuento. Participa!
> > http://click.lavabit.com/kdyi4wwrtix37u45s5w1anr34gnrddx3pxr1n1c58wyhw87cahfb/
>

> Yes, I don't know if the content for every file listen in
> http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Media_Types#File_structure is the same or if
> it changes between Media Types and the wiki didn't say where should be
> the sniffing code http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Media_Types#Sniffing

Only __init__.py, models.py and migrations.py need to be there.

The __init__.py MEDIA_MANAGER object should be filled in, we only _need_ the
fields sniff_handler, processor, display_template, accepted_extensions for
the application not to crash.

In __init__.py, the sniffing handler and the processing function should be
imported, so that you can put the references to those in the MEDIA_MANAGER.

For examples on the sniffing handler and the processing functions look in
mediagoblin/media_types/image/processing.py.

I think Chris Webber or Elvenlord Elrond can fill you in on models.py and
migrations.py, as I don't grok that part of the infrastructure as good as
they might.