Re: [GMG-Devel] Feature design

From: Jef van Schendel
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Feature design
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 23:51:26 +0100

Hi!

Two quick notes:

2012/11/2 Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden>
To paraphrase, he observed that
lately we've been having a "someone picks a feature and implements it
and then afterwards Jef van Schendel runs in and tries to clean up the
look of things" approach.  Is this really the right way?

I think it's important to note that it's not just the look of things. I don't mind "cleaning up afterwards" when it comes to the graphical bits, because doing so is easy enough. However, the interaction design side of things is not only more important, but also much harder to change after-the-fact.

  - We do want a more designed-first development process.  However that
   doesn't just mean graphic design, it's also technical design.
   Rushing into a design without thinking about the user experience is
   bad.

Another thing Aaron talked about in his mail (Aaron, stop me if I'm misconstruing your ideas here!) was that it's hard to know what we're actually designing towards. We tackle individual features, but it's not clear what the higher-level plan is. This can make it very hard to make (correct) decisions, especially as MediaGoblin matures.

Jef