[GMG-Devel] Proposal: Allow plugins to hook into account nav

From: Nathan Yergler
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Proposal: Allow plugins to hook into account nav
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:58:27 -0800

Hello all,

As I've been using the OAuth plugin, I've realized that the
functionality is currently a little buried. I was thinking that it'd
be nice if the list of my OAuth clients were easily accessible from my
account page. It's important that users be able to easily find their
authorized connections and remove them if they decide a client
application isn't operating in their best interest, and right now
that's not the case.

I was looking at the plugin API, and decided to try and leverage the
existing hooks for this idea. I'd like to suggest defining a hook as a
string in tools/hooks.py so that plugins and templates can easily
refer to it, and add a docstring there stipulating what implementers
are expected to provide. The hook I've implemented, ACCOUNT_PAGES,
allows plugins to return URLs and labels to be added to the account
edit page navigation. [For the sake of prototyping, I just added a
sidebar; if people think this is a reasonable idea, someone else
should have a look at making sure this looks reasonable and works with
the adaptive CSS already in place.]

I've pushed this prototype to a branch in my personal clone; you can
find the single commit at
https://gitorious.org/~nyergler/mediagoblin/nyerglers-mediagoblin/commit/fc49daf00a7386bea0ac20c6c2ff77233c3a1d94

You can find screenshots of how it looks for the edit password page
and the OAuth connections page at
http://mediagoblin.com/tag/nav-hooks/

At this point I'm curious if other people think this is conceptually a
good idea, and then feedback on the implementation.

Thanks,

NRY