Re: [GMG-Devel] Plugin for page view counter

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Plugin for page view counter
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:26:31 -0600

That would probably be possible... it would require allowing plugins to
set up other connections like that (I guess would probably mean
registering some things in mg_globals if we were going to do things the
"right" way?).  We could probably also use celerybeat to occasionally
dump it to disk... I'm not sure how much work that is.

Related to the celery thing, I assume if we end up queueing up a number
of tasks in celery to increment, it's still the same number of writes to
do so, it's just that the writes are not happening at page load time...?
That does seem like it would avoid holding up a page from loading,
though if it's a "more writes at a time than the database can handle"
thing, I suppose that issue isn't going away in this solution.  But it
probably would at least not throw a bottleneck on page loading...

That's as far as I can think of this at the moment :)