Re: [GMG-Devel] New ticket workflows, and relevant meeting

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] New ticket workflows, and relevant meeting
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 12:11:58 -0500

So I've made some updates to the workflows of tickets :)

Here, more or less, is the new workflow.
 - There are several states to tickets now:
   - new (ticket created, no activity, not marked as a confirmed
     feature/bug)
   - accepted (someone has confirmed this as a feature/bug, but no
     significant work is not currently in progress... may be renamed to
     "confirmed" at some point)
   - in_progress (set when someone assigns the bug to themselves... see
     more below, we are now only encouraging setting the bug to someone
     when we know they are working on it!)
   - review (Mark for code review.  The ownership will be preserved of
     the person who has been working on the ticket, but will move into
     the "review queue"... any experienced mediagoblin developer can
     help with code reviews)
 - The actions section at the bottom of the ticket has some wording that
   tries to help guide a good workflow.
 - You can mark a ticket to be closed at any present state of the ticket
   being open.
 - Generally, tickets only should have owners *when someone is presently
   working on them*!  This is to try to help discourage "stuck tickets"
   that have an owner but no activity for a long time.

What this means possibly for bug triage:
 - Bugs in the "new" state can be triaged to confirm they're a real bug
   first or actually a ticket we intend to work on
 - Ownership of a ticket is easier to diagnose, as tickets should be
   claimed when people are in progress but not otherwise.

Of course, sometimes when people have tickets claimed and marked as in
progress but haven't had activity for some time, the best thing to do
might be to ask them if they intend to get to it soon!

There are some old tickets in the "assigned" and "reopened"
statuses... these need to be converted, and I could use some help
updating them:

http://issues.mediagoblin.org/query?status=assigned&status=reopened&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=status&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

Meanwhile, I am off for a doctor's appointment :)

Happy to talk about this further!
 - cwebb