Re: [GMG-Devel] configure/Makefile for mediagoblin

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] configure/Makefile for mediagoblin
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 15:59:00 +0200

Hi again,

> I'm not sure what the status of it is... I pinged for an update:
>   http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/536#comment:3
>
> I would be interested in working with someone on figuring out how well
> this fits with current mediagoblin infrastructure.

Sorry for the delay.  I finally made a draft setup with pyconfigure.
Before I do a merge request, could someone please check it out and see
what it's missing or what doesn't work well?

https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin-pyconfigure/trees/configure

So, once you get the code, cd into the directory and run:

$ ./configure --with-virtualenv --prefix=.

"--prefix" should point to the location where the site will be served
from.  Following the documentation, you would check out the mediagoblin
code and put it directly where you will be serving the site from, so in
this case, you set "--prefix=.". You could potentially have the code
anywhere and set --prefix to something else, i.e. say the code is at
~/Projects/mediagoblin, from there you would run

$ ./configure --with-virtualenv --prefix=/srv/mg.example.org/mediagoblin

Then run either

$ make develop

or

$ make install

That should install all the necessary files to the
/srv/mg.example.org/mediagoblin directory, including a copy of the
Makefile.  The documentation specifies "develop" (i.e. setup.py develop)
but I made an "install" target as well.  You should then be able to run
any of the following commands either from the source directory or from
the site directory.

To set up PostgreSQL:

$ make postgres

To update (setup.py develop --upgrade & updatedb):

$ make update

There are also some targets for documentation, making a distribution,
etc.

I opted to make the Makefile a wrapper around setup.py. But note that
setup.py has been moved to setup.py.in.  Upon running "configure",
setup.py will be created.  This is in line with the GNU coding
standards.

Have a look through configure.ac and Makefile.in, since that's primarily
where the changes were made.  I kept a lot of the comments from the
default pyconfigure files so that you have an idea of what's going on.
Notably, you'll see in configure.ac that all of the prerequisites are
tested for.  From now on, be sure to update the version number contained
in configure.ac.

So anyway, like I said, please check it out and let me know how it can
be improved!

Cheers,
Brandon

--