Re: [GMG-Devel] Got my instance up and running! (was: having issues with

From: Kushal Kumaran
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Got my instance up and running! (was: having issues with Celery)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:21:26 +0530

Damien Radtke <address@hidden> writes:

> I recently colocated a Linux server for personal use, and finally got my
> Mediagoblin up and running: http://74.122.197.234:6543/
>
> It turns out that the problems I was having with Celery (most of them,
> anyway) were caused by a bug in the EXIF.py library, since it was breaking
> on one of my jpg's (infinite loop near line 1732). Other images, however,
> seem to work fine.
>
> A couple things are still missing. I haven't tested it with anything
> besides images, e-mail registration doesn't work (not sure if I want to
> enable it, though), and I want to try and streamline some of the init
> scripts a little more. It turns out that Celery is a pain in the ass to
> properly daemonize, especially when compared with the paster that does it
> so well.

What init system are you using on your server?  I'm running upstart on
my ubuntu server and the configuration is trivial.  My celeryd startup
script follows, which you might be interested in.  Even with sysvinit,
it should not be too complicated, other than the standard boilerplate.
Take a look at the start-stop-daemon utility if you're running debian.

===== File /etc/init/mediagoblin-celeryd.conf =====
author "Kushal Kumaran <address@hidden>"
description "Mediagoblin celeryd process"

start on started network-services
stop on stopping network-services

env VENV=/srv/media.locationd.net/mediagoblin

console log
chdir /srv/media.locationd.net/mediagoblin
umask 022

setuid mg
setgid mg

script
 CELERY_CONFIG_MODULE=mediagoblin.init.celery.from_celery
 export CELERY_CONFIG_MODULE
 $VENV/bin/celeryd --pool=eventlet -l INFO -f /var/log/mediagoblin/celeryd.log
end script

===== End file =====

--
regards,