Re: [GMG-Devel] I need a hand to deploy a MG instance !

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] I need a hand to deploy a MG instance !
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 13:54:08 -0400

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM, tumulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey !
>
> I'm going to deploy my "fork" of mediagoblin (with music bands and albums
> managment and all)  on a small hoster (non-profit organisation) but they've
> just gave me the computer with a ssh access and... I have absolutely no idea
> what to do from here.

This isn't related to your problem, but I am interested in support for
bands and albums in mediagoblin.  Do you have any plans to submit
patches upstream?  I can't imagine that I'm the only one that would
want such a feature.

> My knowledge ends with lazyserver.
>
> I know there's plenty of guides around that would help me to overcome this
> issue, be I fear that it would take me ages but my biggest fear is that I
> would end up with a unstable or vulnerable server because of missing options
> (wrong chmod, service without the proper option etc...).
>
> Can someone help me with the deployment ? I'll give you full ssh access and
> all.
>
> Feel free to come to #coomte (freenode) anytime so we can discuss this.
> Hopefully it will only take a moment.
>

> Many, many thanks in advance !
>
> Cheers
>
> Tumulte

I can't do any work for you, but perhaps I can help you help yourself.
 Do you have a preference for which web server you want to use to host
your mediagoblin instance?  I personally use Apache + fcgid, but the
wiki gives pretty much ready-to-go instructions to quickly get a
production instance running with Nginx + FastCGI.  See:
http://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/v0.6.1/siteadmin/deploying.html#fastcgi-and-nginx

Do you use Debian?  Well here's some init scripts to make
starting/stopping mediagoblin and celery really easy:
https://github.com/joar/mediagoblin-init-scripts

Good luck!

- Dave