Re: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin, metadata, and json-ld

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin, metadata, and json-ld
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 10:00:08 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> On 04/30/2014 12:27 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>> This stuff becomes more relevant also when we get to the point of
>> federation.  Since we're using the Pump API, everything is about
>> posting around ActivityStreams objects.
>
> A heads up: Pump.IO and the Pump API use ActivityStreams 1.0[1].
>
> ActivityStreams 2.0 (still in development, but pretty mature otherwise)
> uses JSON-LD[2].
>
> They're not compatible.
>
> Is MG planning on adding JSON-LD stuff on top of AS 1.0, or adopting AS
> 2.0? Doing the latter would make it incompatible w/ the API as-used by
> Pump.IO and friends.
>
> [1]: http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/1.0/
> [2]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-activitystreams

We intend to be compatible with pump.io.  It seems to me that adding a
@context key would not break pump even if the main pump.io software
doesn't recognize it.

As far as I can tell though, having the ability to namespace things is
going to be pretty critical.

By the way, do we know why pump uses activitystreams 1.0?  Is there any
other reason than it's in progress?

 - Chris