[GMG-Devel] Raw image [NEF, CR2] support in MediaGoblin (issue #888)

From: Odin Hørthe Omdal
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Raw image [NEF, CR2] support in MediaGoblin (issue #888)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 23:29:59 +0200

Hello good folk,

since early in mediagoblin days I've been having a hacked version that could handle raw files, which a big chunk of my media library is stored as.

I'd really like to upstream this plugin. Have it directly in media_types/ like the STL plugin and other things that are not enabled by default.

There's basically two main ways to deal with raw images.

1) Process them using a helper tool like dcraw.
2) Extract the full-size JPEG 'previews' embedded within the EXIF info of the file.

Method 1 is excruciating slow, and very CPU intensive. Method 2, on the other hand, is almost instant. Not surprising.

I don't think *every* raw image file format has such a JPEG embedded, but based on my own usage, I'd guess the most popular cameras would. I can at least find them in the two camera brands that probably has the most raw pictures taken during any day; Nikon's NEF files, Canon's CR2 files.

My plugin implements method 2 using the excellent exiv2 library for extracting the JPEG previews. EXIF-py which we distribute with MediaGoblin does not support it. Having an external dependency is not unlike other media_type plugins currently shipped with MediaGoblin.

  https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/888

So can we make raw images in MediaGoblin happen?

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <address@hidden>