Re: [GMG-Devel] Replace tarnsifex in mediagoblin?

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Replace tarnsifex in mediagoblin?
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:44:24 +0300

On 2014-08-07
vlado <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> In my opinion it's not appropriate to force me to use centralized
> translation solution (transifex) with what is effectively
> decentralized social media system. Is there any way to use local
> translation?
> Thanks
> Regards
> Vladimir:

Hello,

I have been translating various free software packages and I must say I agree.
Transifex allows you to download and upload a PO file, but IIRC you need to run
nonfree JS in your web browser for this to work. I also tried using the `tx`
program once, but for a reason I don't remember it failed. The point is,
regardless of technical terms Transifex is proprietary and centralized.

I recently decided to stop looking for workarounds and just ask project
developers to push PO files directly to Git, but large projects don't do that
(and it's much more complicated than using translator-friendly tools) and then
I miss many projects I would otherwise like to translate.

The best solution I know is running a local Pootle server as part of the
project, e.g. at a subdomain of the project website. No centralized service
dependency and full support for PO files, including download and upload.

Just a personal feeling, anyway. If any of my projects ever needs a translation
server, I'll use a locally installed one because that's the best (maybe nearly
the only) way to actively support decentralization and community sustainability.