Re: [GMG-Devel] Replace tarnsifex in mediagoblin?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Replace tarnsifex in mediagoblin?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:58:47 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> On 2014-08-07
> vlado <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> In my opinion it's not appropriate to force me to use centralized
>> translation solution (transifex) with what is effectively
>> decentralized social media system. Is there any way to use local
>> translation?
>> Thanks
>> Regards
>> Vladimir:
>
> Hello,
>

> I have been translating various free software packages and I must say I agree.
> Transifex allows you to download and upload a PO file, but IIRC you need to
> run
> nonfree JS in your web browser for this to work. I also tried using the `tx`
> program once, but for a reason I don't remember it failed. The point is,
> regardless of technical terms Transifex is proprietary and centralized.
>
> I recently decided to stop looking for workarounds and just ask project
> developers to push PO files directly to Git, but large projects don't do that
> (and it's much more complicated than using translator-friendly tools) and then
> I miss many projects I would otherwise like to translate.
>
> The best solution I know is running a local Pootle server as part of the
> project, e.g. at a subdomain of the project website. No centralized service
> dependency and full support for PO files, including download and upload.
>

> Just a personal feeling, anyway. If any of my projects ever needs a
> translation
> server, I'll use a locally installed one because that's the best (maybe nearly
> the only) way to actively support decentralization and community
> sustainability.

Heya,

Sorry about taking so long to reply to this thread.

Transifex was not originally proprietary when we started to use it... it
was free software, GPLv2, and python based.  We were also using it at
Creative Commons when I worked there, and it was well liked.

https://github.com/transifex/transifex still has the old free software
codebase.  Unfortunately it is no longer maintained, and Transifex went
proprietary, and we weren't aware... it slipped under my radar.  I
hadn't realized it until they sent me an email mentioning that they were
excited to be patenting their Transifex Live system, which lead to a
"WTF?" moment.  Until that moment, I thought Transifex was still free
software.

We'll be moving to something else, but I am a bit overloaded, and weo
need to get 0.7.0 out the door along with rewards.  After that I'll be
looking at moving us over.

Yes, MediaGoblin relying on proprietary software is unacceptable.  We
didn't realize it was happening because that rug was pulled out of our
feet while we were still standing on it.

If someone wants to volunteer to help with the move, we'll probably
either be moving to WikiTranslate or Pootle.

Thanks!
 - Chris