Re: [GMG-Devel] OpenSCAD media type

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] OpenSCAD media type
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:27:18 -0600

Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva writes:

> Hi, folks! I just implemented an OpenSCAD media type.
>
> It is still WIP but it works minimally. Check the attached screenshot.
>
> So basically you submit a .scad script. It renders a preview and an
> STL file in OpenSCAD. You can see the preview and the 3D model in a
> webgl canvas in GMG just like an stl file.
>
> I started writing it as a plugin, then I had some problems and just
> wrote it off the GMG media_types subtree. If you wanna test it you can
> it checkout from my repo:
>
> https://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/rsilvas-mediagoblin/commits/media_scad
>
> Future work:
>
> - have it render more views (top, side and so), like the stl processor
> - support for 2D output (OpenSCAD can work in 2D and export DXF's as
>   well)
> - abstract 3D rendering in media_types.stl for more renderers (like
>   POV Ray) and/or use the stl processing chain do generate 2D
>   renderings from OpenSCAD's stl output
> - support projects with multiple files and custom .scad libraries
> - manufacturing metadata (like, this file should be cut with a laser
>   cutter, this file should be 3D printed)
>
> If you guys like the idea I'm willing to commit it to master when it
> gets decent.

Hey Rodrigo!

Sorry for the delay in replying to this.  This looks really ool!  It
seems like it could really open up MediaGoblin eve nfurther into the
"being helpful for 3d printing" type domains.

One question... I don't know much about OpenSCAD.  Are there
concerns/worries we should have about code execution of the language?
Is it sandboxed?  Is it limited in some way, or totally turing-complete?
I'm just wondering for security reasons.

Nonetheless, this seems like it's a cool tool.

Apologies again on the reply delay!