[GMG-Devel] ./configure && make now mandatory

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [GMG-Devel] ./configure && make now mandatory
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 14:50:57 -0600

Hello all,

As part of the upcoming release, a number of changes have happened.  We
no longer do insane things like commit .mo files into the repo or
minified javascript and the like (or we do a lot less of the latter, and
are working towards even less of it).  As such, we need some way to
"build" these steps.

This process has been rolled into one step:

  ./bootstrap.sh && ./configure && make

This will compile all the .mo files for you and the like, as well as set
up the in-package virtualenv.  (Note, if you don't want the in-package
Virtualenv, consider running:
  ./configure --without-virtualenv

... I have considered the virtualenv not being built by default and have
"make virutalenv" be a user step for those following such a process?
I'm not sure, thoughts welcome!)

Some MediaGoblin community members have expressed that it's unusual for
a python program to require configure and make.  This is true, and
because of this, I avoided making it mandatory for a while.  However,
since we provide it, and we need a way to build the .mo files and etc,
we might as well just require it at this point.

Happy to hear feedback and discuss though!  Especially on whether "make
virtualenv" (or just make env?) should be a separate step.

Happy hacking/administering/contributing/using,
 - Chris