Re: [GMG-Devel] Apply to work on MediaGoblin for GSoC 2015!

From: Matt Molyneaux
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Apply to work on MediaGoblin for GSoC 2015!
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:15:54 +0000

On 26 Mar 2015 19:19, "Dave Crossland" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think it's wise to avoid ad hominem pro argumentation, no cult of great leader here :)
>
> What's RMS' rationale? What's Thomas's? What's fr33dom's?
>
> Mine is that internet advertisers so what they do and nothing you do had any effect on that. If they give you money with no strings attached, why not take it?

A somewhat naïve response; while GSOC has no explicit strings, there's always the danger a project will become dependant on Google for developer time.

Whether Google intends this or not is besides the point - whether GMG has additional funding from elsewhere is more important IMO. And MediaGoblin *does* have funding from elsewhere (i.e you)

tl;dr I welcome our "g00gle 0v3rl0rds" and remind the list that they can donate to both GNU and GMG

Happy hacking,