[GMG-Devel] 0.8 testing on Jessie

From: Jim Campbell
Subject: [GMG-Devel] 0.8 testing on Jessie
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 09:46:38 -0500

Hi All,

There are two releases coming up:  MediaGoblin 0.8 and Debian Jessie.  :
)  Up until now, our deployment docs have focused on the current stable
Debian release, Debian Wheezy.  But with Jessie's pending release at the
end of the month, we wanted to make sure that MediaGoblin worked well on
the soon-to-be stable version of Debian, too.

If anyone would like to go through and do a test install of MediaGoblin
on Debian Jessie following the deployment docs [1], please reply to this
email via the mailing list. We'll get you set up with a test server
running Debian Jessie.

We can do this because Rackspace gives generous server resources to a
local GNU/Linux user group that I'm a part of [2], and the Rackspace
platform has has a nice set-up of Debian Testing and Unstable where you
only have to click a button to make them go. Also, our LUG gave me the
okay for the most excellent MediaGoblin folks to use-up some of the
resources for this.  :)

These instances will be used for testing only, so we'll get rid of them
after working through the issues & getting the release out, but they are
there while we need them!  If you'd like to do more than one test
install, that's cool, too. Just let us know if you need another instance
set up for you!

Jim

P.S. Testing on a distro like Fedora, CentOS or Scientific Linux would
be welcome, too, but I think I have that mostly covered (I've been doing
most of my test-install work on those platforms).  In the long-run, I'd
like to get our docs situated so that Arch Linux and OpenSUSE can be
included in the deployment docs, too, but that's a bit of a ways off.

[1] https://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/  <-- note the
"latest" at the end of the URL.
[2] http://chicagolug.org   : )