[GMG-Devel] Upgrade report: Debian 8, 0.7.1 -> 0.8.0-dev

From: Laura Arjona Reina
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Upgrade report: Debian 8, 0.7.1 -> 0.8.0-dev
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:55:56 +0200

Hi everybody
I have two instances of mediagoblin running in a Debian 8 (Jessie)
machine. Both were in 0.7.1 and with the systemd init scripts from Joar.
Today I have successfully upgrade them to 0.8.0, so here is my upgrade
report.

This is how I did it:

0.- Upgrade my Debian (apt update && apt dist-upgrade -u) and restart
services or restart the box if needed.

1.- Become root:

sudo su

2.- Stop mediagoblin services:

/etc/init.d/mediagoblin-celery stop
/etc/init.d/mediagoblin-paster stop

3.- Become mediagoblin user

su mediagoblinp -s /bin/bash

4.- Backup the database

pg_dump mediagoblin > /home/larjona/backups_mediagoblin/20150415.sql

5.- Change directory to my mediagoblin installation

cd /srv/media.larjona.net/mediagoblin

6.- Update the codebase

git checkout master
git pull

7.- Run

./bootstrap.sh && ./configure && make

(Because ./configure && make only gives error)
Then it has installed "bower" and created the language files

8.- Run

git submodule init && git submodule update

9.- Run

./bin/python setup.py develop --upgrade && ./bin/gmg dbupdate

10.- Exit to become root again, and start the mediagoblin services

exit
/etc/init.d/mediagoblin-celery start
/etc/init.d/mediagoblin-paster start

11.- Exit to become larjona again, and logout
exit
logout

11.- Enjoy :)

Some notes/questions:

* In the last releases notes (0.7.x) the line about upgrade only talks
about steps 8 and 9, but now step 7 (bootstrap, configure, make) seems
needed.
#5015 ( https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/5015 ) talks about
./configure && make but ./configure gave error to me, I had to run
bootstrap.sh first.

Please clarify that part in 0.8.0 release notes.

* Same occurs in the part about upgrading in
https://mediagoblin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/siteadmin/deploying.html#install-mediagoblin-and-virtualenv
But here, I'm not sure if it's better to remove that part, create a new
section "Upgrading from previous version" and explain that the upgrade
instructions are in the release notes (BTW where are they linked from? I
just found them searching). Feel free to give directions and I can open
a ticket and try to submit a patch for documentation.

* If somebody does the upgrade some time after 0.8.0 is released (and
then, master is not the same as 0.8.0), I'm not sure about the commands
in step 6. My attempt:

git checkout master
git pull --tags
git checkout v0.8.0