Re: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin, missing features?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] MediaGoblin, missing features?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:55:24 -0500

Arnaud Fabre writes:

> Hi everyone,

Hey Arnaud,

Sorry for the embarassingly long delay in replying to this email!

> Thanks for the good work on MG, we'd like to use the software for our
> organization, and I'm in charge of the installation and deployment.

Great!

> Before installing MG, there is a couple of features that we need and
> that I can’t find on the documentation
>
> - Media trans-coding at import, for what I saw with the `video` plugin
> is that video are transcoded to WebM, what we want is to auto trans-code
> videos to a multiple format at once (WebM, ogv-Theora, and maybe a
> couple of others). Same with the audio files.

There's no good internal support for multiple output types to be
displayed nicely.  In a sense, the database is set up to support it, but
we don't have a good way to configure transcoding to multiple formats at
present...

I'm interested in this but I think it requires a bit of thought.

> - Possibility to embed the player in a web page (same as youtube
> 'share-embed' code block)

A long desired feature!  You're right it isn't there, and should be.

> Could you tell me if, those features are included in MG and I just miss
> them. If not, how could I contribute to MG to include them?

To begin contributing, see https://wiki.mediagoblin.org/HackingHowto
and maybe talk about what you'd like to do with people on IRC?
(#mediagoblin on irc.freenode.net)

Alternately the issue tracker, or given the sorry state of the issue
tracker, starting threads on here, may be a good way to discuss
addressing said issues more asynchronously.

> Thanks for your answer,
> af.

Thank you!  And sorry I took so long to get to it...