[GMG-Devel] Possible fix for gst-stream-error-quark: This file is incomp

From: ayleph
Subject: [GMG-Devel] Possible fix for gst-stream-error-quark: This file is incomplete and cannot be played
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 21:18:21 -0800

I've been plagued by a particular video processing issue since we
switched to gstreamer-1.x in. Some files (specifically mp4 files) which
processed fine using the gstreamer0.10 code from earlier GMG versions
now failed to process. A user of my instance brought that up again last
week, and I was able to spend some time debugging the problem. I think
I've come up with a simple solution. If anyone else has experienced this
issue, try the change I added to the trac ticket [1] and let me know if
it helps. I've optimistically added a v0.8.1 milestone, but it would be
nice if someone else could try it before then.

On a related note, I've discovered that every sniffed media file gets
copied to a temporary file in /tmp. I'm curious why this is necessary.
If someone uploads a 1GB file to my instance, does GMG really need to
copy that "file-like object" to a temp file to sniff the file type
before deleting the temp file? And if it's really necessary, could we
somehow tie this into the normal workbench stuff so that all of my GMG
files are contained in expected locations, instead of files being
created in /tmp? That way I can size my /var/lib/mediagoblin partition
appropriately and not have to worry about files eating up space in /tmp.
Or am I misreading the code?

[1] https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/5070

--
ayleph