Re: [GMG-Devel] Questioning usefulness of mediagoblin_local.ini

From: Boris Bobrov
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Questioning usefulness of mediagoblin_local.ini
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 21:59:45 +0300

On Saturday 06 February 2016 13:46:26 Mikhail T. wrote:
> Having a separate file with /some/ local settings overwriting global
> ones would've been useful in some setups, but mediagoblin_local.ini is
> not handled as such -- in its presence the "global" mediagoblin.ini is
> not read /at all/:
>
>                     if
>     os.path.exists(os.path.abspath('mediagoblin_local.ini')):
>                         default_conf_file = 'mediagoblin_local.ini'
>                     else:
>                         default_conf_file = 'mediagoblin.ini'

That's what we want it to be. Some time ago there was mediagoblin.ini and you
had to rename it to mediagoblin_local.ini to edit it. It didn't work well.
That's why we now ship mediagoblin.ini.example, and people need to copy it to
mediagoblin.ini.

The code you mention provides backwards compatibility.

> I do not see, how this is useful to anyone. mediagoblin.example.ini
> already provides the list of configurable knobs... I'd propose, for
> mediagoblin_local.ini be obsoleted and the next release to start warning
> people, if the file is detected (but is not found in
> $MEDIAGOBLIN_CONFIG), that it is no longer considered.

Lets start warning them right now. Patch is welcome.

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями,
Boris