Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine

From: ayleph
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 09:53:06 -0600

On March 10, 2016 9:35:32 AM CST, ayleph <address@hidden> wrote:

>On March 10, 2016 9:16:19 AM CST, Tom Browder <address@hidden>
>wrote:
>>The main question for me as site admin I think is:  Can the media be
>>easily divided into "albums" in some kind of tree format, e.g., home
>>=> group => group member
>
>The "collections" in MediaGoblin are not hierarchical. All media exist
>at the same "level" and are generally all viewable paginated in order
>of most recent at the  MediaGoblin main page. (There is an
>"archivalook" plugin which lets an admin "curate" the media shown on
>the main page instead of having recent media shown.)
>
>If I may, I'll use an analogy to make sure I understand what you're
>asking. You'd like a tree of albums, which reminds me of the way I
>filter email into folders and subfolders in Thunderbird. Generally, an
>email exists at a single "level" in Thunderbird's folder hierarchy.
>MedaGoblin does not support that. Rather, the "collections" in
>MediaGoblin are more like an advanced sort of tag where I can group
>media together and maybe add my own commentary to the collection. This
>would be more akin to how I store email in Gmail, where it all sits in
>one "level" (the Archive folder), but there are various labels assigned
>to individual messages, such that a message may appear in many
>different label views. In practice, I might use a collection to group
>all of the pictures I took on a trip (Japan Summer 2013), while I might
>use tags for more generic things (blue, dog, Nikon, etc.).
>
>Have I understood your question correctly?

I thought of another analogy that may work better. It sounds like Coppermine
allows an admin to create albums and sub-albums, the way bulletin board
software allows an admin to create forums and sub-forums. MediaGoblin has no
such hierarchy. It's closer to something like YouTube, which, as far as I know,
doesn't have any admin-created sub-sites, but instead has a number of user
channels. MediaGoblin is very similar in this regard. As a site admin on the
box running MediaGoblin, I can't configure MediaGoblin collections. As a user
on a MediaGoblin site, I can create collections that exist within my user
channel. Any collections I create are accessed at some URL like
my.mediagoblin.site/u/ayleph/.... So there aren't any kind of world albums or
collections, and everything is associated with a user account.

Hope that helps.

--
ayleph