Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Looking for alternative to Coppermine
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:13:34 -0600

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Kevin P. Neal <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 06:08:27AM -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
>> For our site I envision some immutable tags attached to photos or
>> other media as they are uploaded:

By attached I mean as associated with the picture and the user in the
MediaGoblin database.

> There's a _huge_ amount of metadata that is already out there, already
> standardized, and already well understood by large amounts of software.
> It does not make sense to reinvent the wheel. In particular, lets NOT
> deviate from ISO8601 regarding unknown fields in timestamps.

I wasn't trying to dictate formats, Kevin, merely stating some
requirements.  As long as the data are captured and are searchable
somehow the methods should work.

> You should look into EXIF, IPTC, XMP, and the Metadata Working Group.
> IPTC in particular was created by the newspaper and related industries,
> and so contains fields for model names and so forth.

And is MediaGoblin using all that now?

> Oh, finally, collections are not standardized.  The metadata formats
> mentioned above are only concerned with individual pictures.  So MG has
> plenty of room there to do whatever.

Great!

Thanks,

-Tom