[GMG-Devel] ActivityPub makes it to W3C Recommendation

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: [GMG-Devel] ActivityPub makes it to W3C Recommendation
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:13:28 -0600

Good news!

  https://www.w3.org/blog/news/archives/6785

In many ways, this is a major output of MediaGoblin, even though
(ironically!) MediaGoblin doesn't support ActivityPub yet (though we
have support for its predecessor in a branch, the Pump API).  I have
high hopes that ActivityPub can bring some unity to the federated social
web... indeed it already is in some places... here is PeerTube and
Mastodon federating:

  https://peertube.cpy.re/videos/watch/da2b08d4-a242-4170-b32a-4ec8cbdca701

More on this on a guest post at FSF blog:

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/victory-for-libre-networks-activitypub-is-now-a-w3c-recommended-standard

I also speak there, and I'm sure plenty have noticed, about the great
irony that standardizing ActivityPub has lead to stagnation in efforts
on MediaGoblin's own federation code.  I have more to say about this
soon... but for tonight, I think some celebration is in order.  A lot of
people have put a lot of effort into this, and I think it wouldn't have
happened if it weren't for MediaGoblin in that the co-editors of the
spec (Jessica Tallon and I) were driven to work on it because of
MediaGoblin's needs.  But it was more than just Jessica and
I... ActivityPub was a monumentally community effort.  Thanks to
everyone who has participated.

 - Chris