Re: Running multiple site from one binary install

From: Matt Connell
Subject: Re: Running multiple site from one binary install
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 04:38:30 +0200 (CEST)

On 2020-05-18 20:11, Michael Lynch wrote:
> Glad to have someone else interested in MediaGoblin on Docker! I forked
> Lois Dachary’s original implementation and have been maintaining my own fork
> <https://github.com/mtlynch/mediagoblin-docker> for the past couple years.
> I’m working with Ben to try to get most of what’s in my external Dockerfile
> merged into the core MediaGoblin repo so that we can eliminate a lot of
> complexity of a separate repo.

I like the sound of that.  Its always nice to find the Dockerfile right
in the repository with the rest of the code base.

> For my own MediaGoblin instance, I use nginx as well, but for a slightly
> different purpose. I use it for authentication and to redirect responses to
> files on Google Cloud Storage. All of my media is on Google Cloud Storage,
> so I use nginx as kind of a hack to rewrite MediaGoblin’s responses to
> point to GCS instead of locally.

This is a really neat setup.  Very clever, and a good use of mod_rewrite.

> I noticed that on the wiki, you have nginx do a proxy pass to
> http://127.0.0.1:8138, but I can’t figure out where the 8138 is coming
> from. Why 8138 rather than 6543 (MediaGoblin’s default HTTP port)?

There's no specific reason for this except to prevent port contention,
in my specific setup.  I run almost a dozen different docker containers
on the same host, behind the same nginx server, so I got into the habit
of picking arbitrary ports to map to the ports on which the containers
were configured to listen.  Its a bit specific to my use case, but you'd
be surprised how many containers on Docker Hub are configured to listen
on port 80 or 8080!  I don't *have to* pick a different port for each
container, but I do it anyway so I never have to worry about a collision.