Re: Remove sphinx from native inputs

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Remove sphinx from native inputs
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:55:37 +1000

Hi jgart,

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021, jgart wrote:

> Hi Goblineers,
>
> I moved sphinx to native inputs since if sphinx were to be used it would be
> used to
> build docs instead of as a direct library input to mediagoblin. The patch is
> attached.

Thanks, the sphinx change makes sense, so I've applied that.

> Also, propagated-inputs should be changed to inputs.
>
> This is because mediagoblin is an end user application and not a library.
>
> This helps with not polluted your environment.

I think this is on the right track, but doesn't currently work with the
commands we're using to run MediaGoblin `paster serve` and `python -m
celery`, since they can't see the inputs.

I think this is a problem with MediaGoblin itself though. Ideally the
`gmg` command would serve as the single entrypoint here, eg. `gmg serve`
and `gmg celery` but these have never been implemented.

This problem is becoming clearer to me now, and I've learnt more about
paster, so I need to hack on it for a bit.

Ultimately, I think you're right though - we should use "inputs". Just
not *quite* yet. Leave it with me.

Regards,
Ben