Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: multiple infrastructure issues / support bottlenecks
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:51:15 +1100

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompting and also for your support of others on the
issue tracker! I haven't been very responsive on the mailing list, issue
tracker or IRC recently, so apologies to those who have had to wait or
haven't been able to resolve their issues.

(For context, this unresponsiveness is somewhat intentional. To make
sure I don't burn out and am here for MediaGoblin in the longer-term, I
sometimes need to curb my volunteering for many months at a time to
accommodate family and work commitments. This year I made time to coach
my kids field hockey team, and a few weeks back we finally made a start
on the backyard tree-house we'd been talking about for years - no
regrets there! :) Also for context, for many people here in Australia,
the last weeks before Christmas and summer holidays are extraordinarily
busy, so it's likely the support situation won't improve significantly
in the next month or so.)

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

> * people are unable to join the mailing list
>   (admin, accept if pending registration like: 'peter_horvath')

Checking just now, it does appear we had moderation set on for new
mailing list subscribers. Moderated posts were being approved in a reasonably
timely manner, I don't think there's any need this restriction right
now, so I've removed it and un-moderated all moderated users.

> * does the dev team monitor IRC?
>   (eg: people asking for assistance how to join the mailing list)

I haven't been monitoring on the MediaGoblin IRC recently. When I'm
actively working on the project or around the time of a release I do
tend to hang around.

> * there are two bug trackers, both actively used
>   which are the dev team watching? (i would close the other)
>
> * issues.mediagoblin.org returns 503

The Sourcehut issue tracker https://todo.sr.ht/~mediagoblin/mediagoblin
is our primary issue tracker going forwards.

Our legacy issue tracker, issues.mediagoblin.org, has been unstable for
a number of years. It was previously also plagued by spam and
performance issues, but I resolved those a couple of years
back. Shutting it down is one option, but then we lose a lot of useful
historical info, so it's not quite that simple. This is certainly
somewhere we could use help, since responding to tickets would be a
better use of my time than dealing with infrastructure.

Regards,
Ben