mibble-users

[Mibble-users] Updates to MibbleBrowser.jar

From: Rich Brown
Subject: [Mibble-users] Updates to MibbleBrowser.jar
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:06:46 -0700

In January 2010, Dartware contributed a number of changes to Mibble to improve
the user experience of the MibbleBrowser.jar program. As stated in the
announcement and other postings (see the README in the github repository),
Dartware contributed all these changes to Per Cederberg with the full knowledge
that they would become GPL licensed. These changes added several useful
features to MibbleBrowser:

* Click the MIB name in the left pane to display the full text of the MIB in
the right pane.

* Keyboard shortcut (Ctl-O) for load/open a MIB file from the hundreds that are
built into MibbleBrowser itself.

* Keyboard shortcut (Ctl-I) to import other MIB files from the customer's hard
drive.

* Mibble now retains a list of the MIBs that were loaded when it quits.

* Mibble reloads that list of MIBs when it restarts. (If no MIBs are present,
it loads a default set of MIBs. Unloading all MIB files is a convenient way to
restore the default set of MIBs.)

For various reasons these changes were never merged into the mainline, but
these mods were quite useful, and I would hate to see them lost as the product
evolves in other ways.

Toward that end, I have created a github repository that shows the Dartware
changes applied to the Mibble 2.9.2 base of 4Apr2009. There were only five
files changed, and it is my hope that these could be merged back into the
mainline. (I have neither the skills nor the tools to do this work myself.)

See the github repository to see the differences between the original 2.9.2
version and the "Dartware" version.
https://github.com/richb-hanover/mibble-2.9.2

Best regards,

Rich Brown