[Mingw-cross-env-list] Build / Host / Target (was: [call for review UPDA

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Build / Host / Target (was: [call for review UPDATED] Qt 4.7-beta1)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:46:56 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I'm still often confused by host/target

I think the build / host / target are quite easy to understand:

    "Build" is where the program is compiled.
    "Host" is where the program will run.
    "Target" is where the program produces code for.

Thus, "target" makes only sense for compilers and similar stuff.
In Mingw-cross-env, we have the following situation:

    Normal packages:

        build = Unix
        host  = Windows

    Native packages (e.g. pkg-config):

        build  = Unix
        host   = Unix

    GCC, Binutils, NSIS:

        build  = Unix
        host   = Unix
        target = Windows

That's it. I hope this summary helps to make things more clear.

> and qt introduces a new xplatform that I haven't fully understood.

As far as I understand, Qt's "platform" is "build" and Qt's
"xplatform" is "host". But I could be wrong in that regard.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch