Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] jpeg should be replaced by libjpeg-turbo

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] jpeg should be replaced by libjpeg-turbo
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:13:37 +0300

On 22/04/12 00:55, Volker Grabsch wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
Although it would appear that the jpeg library from ijg.org is the
standard, many people, including the many Linux distributions, use
libjpeg-turbo instead.  I think MXE should use it too:

http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org

It's a drop-in replacement for jpeg.

I agree that libjpeg-turbo might be a nice addition to MXE.

However, it's only a replacement for libjpeg<= 6b. It does
not provide all features of libjpeg 8.

So I'm refraining from replacing it in MXE. However, we
could add libjpeg-turbo as a separate package, in case it
is installable side-by-side with libjpeg.

Btw, that's not possible. At least not in any useful way. The point is to build existing packages against libjpeg-turbo. If you have it installed in parallel, it just sits there unused since packages will still link against libjpeg.a.

So to have both, it would need to be possible to install one or the other and let the user pick. I don't know if MXE can support that, since it doesn't have dependency alternatives.