Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building x86_64 binaries for Windows

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building x86_64 binaries for Windows
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 05:22:45 +1100

Hi Franz,

On 01/01/2013, at 2:14 AM, Franz Schrober <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

more and more users are requesting 64 bit versions of their programs (even when WOW64 exists). So I asked myself whether it is possible to compile a mingw-w64 (please correct me when the name is wrong) cross compiling toolchain using MXE?

You've got the name right [1], MXE is two things - build infrastructure, cross-compile toolchain, and a large set of (static) package build rules ;-)

I found this bug 39 [1] which seems to allow this, but it is unmerged and the current state is unclear to me.

My experimental branch has been dormant for a long time, but building the targets serially [2] has overcome my main objection - simplicity [3]. I merged the current mxe/master recently, and it works well for packages that are cross-compile aware (e.g. qt). Current i686-pc-mingw32 builds are the same as mxe/master.

Was it already possible to build a 64 bit toolchain and now it is only possible to build all toolchains at once?

In the experimental branch, yes and no. You define the targets by `make MXE_TARGETS=…` or by configuration of the local settings.mk

When yes, what must I do to compile a 64 bit toolchain from the current master/stable branch?

There isn't a way from current master/stable (without a lot of work). Clone the experimental brach [4] and play around with it. The toolchain is stable, but we need feedback on the infrastructure and any help with 64-bit package patches is welcome.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html
[2] https://github.com/tonytheodore/mxe/commit/36616d7427f0d114d5727d1282e0827a00af3976