Re: 'gettext' build failure

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: 'gettext' build failure
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 13:51:19 +1100

> On 1 Mar 2021, at 05:18, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> The problem was that I had a local installation of 'autoconf' in
>> `/usr/local` but was using 'automake' from `/usr`.  This doesn't
>> work out of the box; I probably have to update some environment
>> variables.  Too lazy to investigte this further, my solution was to
>> locally install 'automake' (and 'libtool').  Now everything
>> continues smoothly.
>
> I wonder whether mxe should take care of this situation, given that
> the most recent autoconf version (2.71) is not working for everything.
> Maybe I'm not the only one who quickly installs autoconf 2.69
> locally...

The autotools package[1] is intended to check for such mismatches and
fail early - can you post the log for that package?

> It thus probably makes sense if mxe downloads and builds 'autoconf',
> 'automake', and 'libtool', also adding a proper path in the Makefile
> infrastructure to locate the mxe's M4 files of 'aclocal' (for example,
> `pkg.m4`).  Maybe not really necessary, but certainly more robust :-)

It's a perennial issue, for some systems we build them automatically
and will eventually get to some sort of feature detection.

In the mean time, you can run:

  make libtool MXE_PLUGIN_DIRS=plugins/native MXE_TARGETS=

to install a known set of working versions in mxe-specific paths.

Cheers,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/blob/master/src/autotools.mk