mit-scheme-devel

[MIT-Scheme-devel] Fedora Core 3

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Fedora Core 3
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:50:58 -0500

   Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:50:44 +0000
   From: Matt Birkholz <address@hidden>

   Me too, on Debian Testing.  I assume you, like me, pulled the HEAD CVS
   revisions and tried to build from sources.  I got a seg fault like
   this:

       >> A hardware fault has occurred within critical section "garbage
       >> collector daemon".
       >> [signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1]
       >> Successful recovery is unlikely.

   I eventually recalled that runtime.com contains microcode-specific
   things like primitive-procedure offsets.

That's not really a problem, since runtime.com can be rebuilt from
binaries.

The real issue is that there have been a couple of low-level
representation changes since 7.7.90, so the current sources are
completely incompatible with the old binaries.

As I said, I'm happy to provide working snapshots.

   I would love to hear how Chris bootstraps bands for a new microcode.
   While skimming bintopsb.c I noticed options called "allow_cc" and
   "allow_bands".  Maybe I can translate a compiled runtime.com...

I haven't used those programs in a long time.

The latest round of changes involved some complicated staging with
special tweaks to the microcode.  I had to work with interpreted code,
and compile the system through 4 stages before I got one in which #F
and '() were properly separated.  Once that was done, I used the
compiler (interpreted, of course) to compile that code to x86 native.