mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] FFI and KyotoCabinet

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] FFI and KyotoCabinet
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:00:56 -0700

> From: address@hidden (Matt Birkholz)
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:02:30 -0700
>
> > From: Peter Feigl <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:02:52 +0200
> >
> > [...]
> > I've managed to avoid autotools so far, seems now is the time to
> > learn ;)
>
> I have some hacks for src/Makefile.in and friends.  They arrange to
> build FFIs *after* build-bands, to ensure that the compiled FFI syntax
> and shim are consistent.  They artlessly snag some of the C
> compilation and linking configuration from src/microcode/configure.ac;
> that is how I was able to say $(LINK_SHIM) above.  They were tested by
> building Gtk for x86_64 and portable C on portable C *or* native
> hosts.  I will commit them to master forthwith -- i.e. sometime in the
> next fortnight. :-)

Whoa.  Those fortnights are sneaky.  But I have finally committed to
master, before a second fortnight could slip past!  I have yet to
rebase Gtk onto this new "FFIs support", but I added a little test
library, and it works on i386, x86_64 and portable C (on i386).
(Thanks be to Taylor for the `make check' encouragement!)

Add your-FFI to FFIS in src/configure.ac and it will appear in
src/Makefile (and src/Makefile.in) and get built and installed
automatically, on any of the aforementioned machinery, assuming
src/your-FFI/Makefile-fragment has working build and install targets
(almost, but NOT similar to src/ffi/Makefile-fragment).  There are
several files that may want patching, unfortunately, like
src/Setup.sh, src/TAGS, src/etc/create-makefiles.sh, and
src/etc/optiondb.scm.  When Gtk is rebased, I can provide a working
example.