mit-scheme-users

[MIT-Scheme-users] IMAIL setup

From: Charles Moss
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-users] IMAIL setup
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 03:28:05 -0500

I think my patience has run out trying to figure out how to configure
IMAIL and stunnel to check my Gmail account.  But perhaps I will
torture myself a little longer by asking only for pieces rather than
the completed puzzle.

Do I need to use stunnel to access Gmail?  (As
<URL:https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960> reports
that both Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers have Requires SSL:Yes,
and as no encryption is built in to IMAIL, I conclude that I do need
to use stunnel.  But do I, really?)

Do I need to run an IMAP daemon on my computer for stunnel to connect
to?  (This might go to show just how damn confused I am about
stunnel.)

Do I need to generate a certificate to get stunnel to do its thing?

Do I need to include the port (that is, ":993") in imail-default-imap-server?

Do I need "@gmail.com" to finish imail-default-user-id?

Does IMAIL prompt for a password?  Should it?  (Else, where does IMAIL
get login information?  I have nowhere entered my password.  In which
configuration file should I enter it?)

If anyone who has figured this out and understands that I am asking
the wrong questions to understand how this works, what are the right
(or, at least, better) questions?

Do my router / gateway firewall settings matter?  Should they?

---
Charles