[Mldonkey-users] GPL compliance, debian package

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] GPL compliance, debian package
Date: 29 Aug 2002 15:51:50 +0200

Hi,

I see a problem with the mldonkey source being GPL but not being fully
available.

For mldonkey to be GPL compliant there would have to be a written
offer for the source of the secret files good for 3 years or the
source included with mldonkey.

I got the secret files without a problem after asking for them, so one
could consider that 3 year offer required by the gpl as implicit for
the secret files. But strictly speaking thats not good enough. There
should at least be a file in the cvs stating such an offer for the
secret files.

For a debian package I think thats not even enough. Debian allways
distributes binary and source together and has no 3 year offer. Debian
being a non-profit organisation could also forward mldonkeys 3 year
offer but firms that sell debian could not.

This would be a problem for mldonkey to be in main and thus on Debian
CDs, which would be sad.

Is it realy worth the trouble to keep the secret files secret? There
are enough donkey hacks out there anyway, so its not like releasing
those files would make any more people cheat the protocoll.

If your dead set on keeping the secret files secret I could ask
debian-legal for advice how to handle such a package but I would
rather keep things simple.

May the Source be with you.
        Goswin