[Mldonkey-users] bittorrent, leaky buckets and poor upload performance

From: Jason Baker
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] bittorrent, leaky buckets and poor upload performance
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:37:00 -0500

Yesterday, I started using mldonkey 2.5.30.16 from a cablemodem.  I'm
mostly downloading bittorrent files.  I removed the download bandwidth
cap, and left the upload cap (7k) and slot limit (5) alone.  This
worked fine for at least 8 hours, but I noticed today that my upload
throughput has gone from around 5k/s to 1k/s.  I'm not sure why.

My uploaders ar always bittorrent clients.  It seems possible that I
can't upload due to congestion on their end.  In that case, maybe
doubling or quadrupling the number of upload slots help.

It also seems possible that my upload performance has fallen off due
to traffic shaping at the local cable company.  I guess the only way
to deal with this problem is to shut down mlnet for a day, and adjust
the upload cap down.  I suppose that if I do this carefully, I can
find the optimal cap without hitting router weirdness more than once.

Do either of these approaches make sense?

Jason