Re: Multiple processes started when explicit start commands are used on

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Multiple processes started when explicit start commands are used on dependant processes.
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 01:47:44 +0100

On 27. jan. 2006, at 20.36, P Holdaway wrote:

There appears to be a race condition when issuing monit start commands on
processes that are dependant on each other.

  To illustrate...

  Given processes b1 to b8 are dependant on process a.

If I stop all processes and then issue a separate start command for each process, I see in monit.log that the process b1 is being started twice. Once as a result of the dependency on process a, and once because of an explicit
start command.

  I have attached some files to help reproduce this problem.

You have a bug in your run.sh script I think. If I use this,

'start')
        echo "Starting $name"
        echo $$ > "$this_dir/$name.pid"
        exec sleep 123456
        ;;

every process start and stop in order without any race condition...

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255