Re: set mailserver to POP

From: Scott Silva
Subject: Re: set mailserver to POP
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:43:38 -0700

Alfredo Deza spake the following on 9/5/2007 4:04 PM:

    On 9/5/07, *Jan-Henrik Haukeland* < address@hidden

        On 5. sep. 2007, at 14.17, Alfredo Deza wrote:

        >  Thanks a lot for giving us some news about the release and the
        >  current development of monit. Do you have any approximate
        dates for
        >  the 4.10 release?

        Why don't you download the monit 4.10 beta and help us out and test
        it? It supports SMTP authentication [1].  There are no known issues
        with the beta. You can find it here,
        http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/
        download/

        [1] Thanks to patch contributed by Thomas Lohm�eller

    Wow, what a mess I just made.

    I installed the RPM package from Dag Wieers repository. I am using
    CentOS 4.1 and everything was fine. So to install the BETA version I
    removed Dag's package by doing:

    rpm -e monit

    Which uninstalled monit.

    Then I did a wget of the source (4.10 beta) , compiled and
    installed. But it seems monit wasnt working well, it didnt have a
    pid file and couldnt recognize the services.I couldnt even do
    /etc/init.d/monit start

    So I went ahead to uninstall monit and within the 4.10 directory did:

    make uninstall

    Perfect.

    Went ahead and reinstalled the RPM package and now I have my monit
    pid file but with a broken monit:

    -bash: /usr/local/bin/monit/: no such file or directory

    I still have the configuration file and I can do:

    /etc/init.d/monit start
    /etc/init.d/monit restart
    /etc/init.d/monit stop

    But it does nothing, no web interface, no nothing.

    Could you guys PLEASE help me get this working again? I just need to
    have this as stable as possible (why did I tried to get 4.10???).

    So, to make this plea short:

    1.- Need to get a complete uninstall/removal of monit
    2.- Then a fresh install of monit 4.9 with the RPM package

    Hopefully I will have this working in no time.

    Thanks again so much for your patience and help,

-- Alfredo Deza

Ok, just an update (sorry for the spam)

Since bash couldnt find monit I did wget monit-4.9 compiled it and copied monit to /usr/local/bin/monit/

So that fixed that problem and now I have monit running.

BUT

Monit doesnt start/stop/restart correctly (although I see OK when I try) when doing /etc/init.d/

It just starts by:

monit -v

And it shows that monit doesnt have a PID file at /var/run/monit.pid

Any ideas to this whole mess I created?

Did you try rpm with the --replacefiles option?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and