Couple questions from new/potential user

From: Jordan Mendler
Subject: Couple questions from new/potential user
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:38:00 -0700

Hi all,

I am new to monit, and am considering implementing it to go along with our cacti instance. I was wondering, is it possible to implement custom rules in monit that would allow me to alert based on custom commands? An example scenario would be to dump the latest information from a cacti/rrdtool Round-Robin Archive, and to alert if it exceeds a certain value.

Another question, is it possible to configure monit to send alerts every X times that a service is down? For example, if apache is down send an alert. Then, if it remains broken, do not send another alert unless apache is still down 10 cycles later.

Lastly, is it possible to have alerts timeout until fixed? For example, if apache is down send an alert. Then, if apache stays broken do not send anymore alerts about it being broken. Finally, when apache is fixed, restart the alerting cycle such that a new alert is sent if it breaks again.

I hope these questions have not been asked already, I searched a bit and could not find an answer. P.S. Great work with Monit. I really like the simple, yet powerful syntax and web interface.

Thanks so much,
Jordan