[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Future of Monit (was Re: roadmap - any date ?)

From: David Fletcher
Subject: Re: Future of Monit (was Re: roadmap - any date ?)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:43:00 +0000

I don't know the answer to which option is best - from my perspective
Monit currently does what I need, so the slow development and
incremental change is ok for me.

It might be useful to look at how ModSecurity ( has
done things. This is a similar piece of software in terms of it being
for server usage, therefore much more limited market than a consumer
piece of software. They were a small open source project until about 4-5
years ago when they were bought by Breach Security. Around 6-9 months
ago it moved to Trustwave. The original developer Ivan Ristić seems
to be doing other things now, but you can still get an open source
version. I can't remember the license arrangement, but its discussion
was big on the mailing list when it first went to Breach.

I hope this helps,

>Message: 2
>Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:45:56 +0100
>From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden>
>Subject: Future of Monit (was Re: roadmap - any date ?)
>To: This is the general mailing list for monit
>       <address@hidden>
>Message-ID: <address@hidden>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Hello Jeremy
>The long answer is that we are currently thinking about the next move for 
>Monit and nothing is decided yet. We have two options; 1) either do small 
>incremental changes and improvements which we are doing now. This means no 
>major new features and that the "next plan" will be put on hold 2) or do 1-2 
>months full time development and realize the plan plus more. 50% of the plan 
>is already implemented so it is definitely within the realm of possibilities.
>But there are few incentives for us to do 2) and finalize a new major overhaul 
>of Monit. Personally I really want to see it through, but it will cost a lot 
>of time (and by proxy money). We are very grateful for all who support us by 
>purchasing a M/Monit license, but unfortunately it is not enough to sustain 
>full time development, although each purchase really helps us and gives us 
>some time to work on Monit as well as M/Monit.
>If we are going to do option 2) we will most likely go for a MySQL model where 
>we dual license Monit. So that those that want to put Monit in HW boxes can 
>purchase a commercial license, hopefully this will support OSS development of 
>Monit in the future. If I feel that this would be a viable model I would start 
>on development right away, but I'm currently uncertain.
>I'm sorry for this long rant and for not giving you a clear answer, but 
>hopefully things will turn out for the best (i.e. option 2) in not too long a 
>Any thoughts by anyone on the list on our conundrum and ideas/suggestions for 
>the future of Monit would also be much appreciated.

Email: address@hidden

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]