[Monotone-devel] 0.2 released

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] 0.2 released
Date: 08 Aug 2003 11:57:48 -0400

hi,

I've pushed another monotone release out. I'm sorry this has taken a
while, but I really wanted to get "over the hump" of CVS
importing. now I have that working -- it reads and converts ,v files
directly -- which produces testcases like nobody's business. future
releases should be much closer together (say, 1 month rather than 4),
and represent smaller, bit-by-bit changes.

other major changes in this release include a rewrite of the delta
system to use a hand-done xdelta implementation, removal and/or
incorporation of subsets of several external library dependencies, and
a number of performance-significant changes to the storage
system. it's still a bit of a bitch to build, but far less so. this
should continue to improve in subsequent versions.

I'm getting close to comfortable with the state of the storage
system. in home testing it's demonstrated a certain level of comfort
handling gigabyte-scale histories (~ a decade of gcc cvs history) but
metadata is still clearly too expensive in its current representation,
so I'll probably be breaking storage compatibility one or two more
times before settling on something. there's a lot of redundancy, and
cryptographic information is pretty verbose, so it needs to be done
with careful attention to cost.

in the longer term of course (post-1.0 release) there will be a proper
database-schema-migrator thingy built in, for the rare case where we
need to alter something in a stable lineage. but not yet; at this
point I'm still experimenting with what makes a sensible backend
representation, so am not bothering with converters.

-graydon