[Monotone-devel] 0.3 released

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] 0.3 released
Date: 25 Aug 2003 19:32:56 -0400

hi,

just pushed another monotone release out. this one adds a few
noteworthy things:

- HTTP support. now you can set up a private HTTP "depot" which
  handles exchanging packets in a roughly analogous fashion to a news
  server, but without the hassle of setting up a news server. there's
  no support for depot <-> depot exchange (nor will there be) but the
  idea here is to support the popular style of users paying for and
  creating their own repository-like-things, to hold their own private
  work. you can of course fetch packets from as many HTTP servers as
  you like.

- expanded testsuite. I rewrote the testsuite to work in 'autotest',
  which is an M4 dialect which ships with autoconf, and expanded its
  coverage a fair bit.

- enhanced merging. there's a new command called 'propagate' which
  does a one-way merge between branches. it's not completely
  documented yet, but this provides a lot of the needs of multi-branch
  development (bidirectional synchronization, aggregation into
  sub-maintainer branches, etc.)

- packet format changes, to make packets a little less verbose and
  more readable.

anyways, I think we're mostly set for self-hosting now on a private
HTTP depot. sometime between now and the next release, I'll set such a
thing up.

-graydon