Re: [Monotone-devel] Supporting Encryption

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Supporting Encryption
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:40:58 -0800

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:55:48PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> I'm asking because I was thinking about using monotone to
> implement off-site backups: A lot of friends of mine have
> disk space en masse and fast DSL lines, so we talked about
> copying each others important data to each others machines
> as a backup copy, in case the whole house burns down or
> something. The problem is, of course, that I want my data to
> be _encrypted_ when I copy it to other people's hard disk --
> friends or not. But creating a huge tar archive, encrypting
> it, and rsync'ing it hence and forth wastes a lot of
> bandwidth, because minor changes in the data cause the whole
> file to change dramatically -- effectively disabling
> incremental transfers.

I dunno, maybe Monotone could do more here, but I'd guess that a
better tool for solving your problem is
    http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey

This email may be read aloud.