[Monotone-devel] Re: Support for binary files, scalability andWindows po

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Support for binary files, scalability andWindows port
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:36:05 -0500

Zbynek Winkler wrote:

I'll see if it's sufficiently easy to make the whole protocol and hashtree calculator depend on a couple template constants, and try to write it that way so we can wiggle it around and find a sweet spot.

How is it going?

not bad. I would guess that I am about half way into the "non-prototype" version of this protocol. I would estimate another two weeks before it is really "operational" for VC use, after which I will experiment a bit and probably publish a version of monotone which has both it and the "conventional" queue/log/depot stuff, and we can try it out to see which is more pleasant to use.

so far I have found a nice networking library to use in place of boost::socket (netxx -- highly recommended), built and tested a basic binary packeting protocol, client and server i/o loops, and a dense, binary merkle-tree encoding which is templatized by bit fanout number, so uses much less space and network traffic. there's still work to do, but it seems to be proceeding well enough.

the "non-prototype" version of this protocol is a little more complex than the prototype, since it has to handle authentication and anonymous access, asymmetric sending / receiving roles (not just synchronizing), delta-encoded objects at the bottom of the tree, multiple types / collections of synchronized objects, and the possibility that its peer is trying to attack it. but it's not impossibly complex.

-graydon