[Monotone-devel] Re: initial questions

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: initial questions
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:35:25 -0400

Derek Scherger wrote:

- With the MT/ directory at the root of my project is the intent that all monotone commands must be executed from there (the project root)?

yes. there will eventually be code to "jump up" to the root directory of a project if monotone is run from a subdirectory. there is no such code at the moment.

- Is there any way to limit how deep into my tree monotone add goes? --depth=1 for example? this seems like something that might be a bit awkward, having never really used it on anything but a tiny test project.

there is currently no way to do this, but it could be added. another possibility is to use something like:

  find . -maxdepth 1 -a -type f -a -name \*.[ch] | xargs monotone add

- Currently checkout simply clobbers any files that are in the way, and I'm wondering if instead it might just leave them as they are rather than doing something potentially destructive.

it doesn't do this currently, but a patch would be welcome. I think it might be worth parameterizing with a hook function (adding an entry to lua.hh and lua.cc as well) but otherwise it sounds like a sensible thing to add.

- Another thought I've had recently about the .cvs, .svn, MT type of directories is that they might be handled better by a file in my home
> dir (say in a ~/.monotone/ directory)

I think this feature, while possible, would confuse matters more than it would help. my experience has been that people like self contained metadata. they like it to sit in a directory closely associated with the project.

thanks for your interest, let us know if there are more things which you'd prefer to see.

-graydon