[Monotone-devel] illegal instruction again [was: Re: monotone 0.11 test

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] illegal instruction again [was: Re: monotone 0.11 test failures]
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:11:37 -0400

Derek Scherger wrote:

I'm compiling against boost 1.31.0 as built by the gentoo ebuild so although it was easy
to build, I have *no* idea how it's configured.

I've attached testsuite.log and can provide more info if you need it.

sorry, I thought I'd replied to this earlier. the problem you're having is the same "illegal instruction" fault that others have run into, when the SSE2 code is built but you're not on an SSE2 platform. athlon's don't like SSE2. it seems my runtime detection of SSE2 doesn't work quite right, so you wind up executing it even though your hardware can't.

the way around this with 0.11 is awkward but I believe doable:

1. edit configure.ac and comment out this line

  AC_CHECK_HEADERS(emmintrin.h, [CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -msse2"])

2. run "autoreconf"
3. run "./configure && make"

for reasons which aren't totally clear to me at the moment, configure with CXXFLAGS set to some explicit value on the command line fails in an unfortunate way. I'm obviously twiddling these flags wrong, so the above is the best fix I understand how to do at the moment.

-graydon