[Monotone-devel] autoreconf --install woes

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] autoreconf --install woes
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:50:55 -0600

I've just pulled the monotone source into my own db and checked it out and I'm starting to try and get it built but I seem to have a slight problem. As described in the README I've attempted to do "autoreconf --install" but this ends with the following message:

Makefile.am:1: require version 1.7.1, but have 1.5
autoreconf-2.58: automake failed with exit status: 1

I've been digging on this a bit and I'm now genuinely and totally confused...

in my monotone 0.11 source dir

address@hidden monotone-0.11 $ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.7.9

then in my monotone head dir

address@hidden monotone-head $ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.5

note that both of these dirs are under my monotone dir where it says

address@hidden monotone $ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.8.3

These are all the same /usr/bin/automake which seems to be a symlink to am-wrapper.pl which apparently decides what version to be... yowzers, I can't beleive I've never noticed this before.

I've never really figured out the auto... stuff so I don't really know what order things happen in or what files are input at what stage. However, in configure.ac I can see AC_INIT_AUTOMAKE(1.7.1) which corresponds to what Makefile.am says.

So why has automake determined that it should claim to be version 1.5 then? aclocal.m4 says generated by aclocal 1.5 ... ??? Can anyone recommend some good reading on the wide world of autofoobar? ;)

Derek