[Monotone-devel] Warning: monotone can't use system wide LUA! ,was Re: A

From: Christof Petig
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Warning: monotone can't use system wide LUA! ,was Re: Always uses bundled SQLite/LUA (error in autoconf.ac)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:28:41 +0200

Christof Petig schrieb:
Symptom: monotone always uses it's bundled SQLite (which is fatal for me since my system's SQLite is newer).

It's deadly to try to use the system's lua since monotone's lua is modified to support io.mkstemp(). You won't notice this until you try to commit. And the error message will not help you at all:

monotone: committing bfd8be1f982fdcfe3f993cde81692d7a5c810ba7
monotone: committing to branch net.venge.monotone
monotone: misuse: edit of log message failed

It should say: there's no such method as mkstemp in io. [+call trace]

Figuring this out costed me about three hours this morning :-(

Graydon: Do you (or any LUA wizard out there) know any way to make the LUA error messages more meaningful? [You don't get a single hint about which syntactic/logic error you made and where it was]

Do you plan to support a standard lua in the future (e.g. move the function out of the subfolder into a normal lua extension)?

Frustrated
   Christof